Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

The World's Best Blueberry Pie

I am more of a cake person, myself, but my husband LOVES fruit pies.He especially loves blueberry pies. Fruit pies are okay in my opinion, but they really need to be served a la mode and warm.


This afternoon I had the brilliant idea to make a blueberry pie for dessert tonight. We have the ritual of eating dessert two times a week -Friday nights to mark the end of the week and Sunday nights to mark the start of the new week. We started that years ago when the kids were younger. They were always asking if they could have dessert after dinner. We don't always have something special for dessert. Sometimes it's just a matter of selecting a frozen Weight Watchers treat or having a couple of Girl Scout cookies. But every now and then, we'll make something special.

I don't have a favorite blueberry pie recipe. Usually my husband is the one who makes the pies at our house. So I turned to the internet and specifically Google to help me out. I searched for "Easy Blueberry Pie". The first recipe I found was called "How to Make the World's Best Blueberry Pie" from the PickYourOwn.org website. I quickly scanned through the recipe to make sure we had all of the right ingredients and we did! I can't tell you how frustrating it is to start baking something only to realize that you don't have something! I also liked the fact that this recipe gave the option of using a dough crust or a graham cracker crust. I don't think I've ever had a blueberry pie made with a graham crust, so that cinched that. Maybe this will be to pie that makes me switch to "team pie"???


My 13 year-old was called down to the kitchen to assist me. It was really an easy pie to make. (Click on the links above to go directly to the recipe.)

Here is the pie right before going in the oven.


And here is the final product.

I cooked it as directed, but it was a little too brown around the edges. I think that was my fault. The directions called for a deep dish pie plate, but I used a standard pie plate and I didn't adjust the length of time accordingly. As for taste, the family enjoyed it, and that's what counts. Since it was a bit over done, the graham cracker crust was slightly chewing which I personally liked. I really enjoyed the graham crust and the crumbled topping better than traditional dough crusts. Maybe that's because I don't make homemade pie crusts, I use the pre-made refrigerated ones. I may try it again sometime and watch the timing a bit. I am not a convert, I still prefer cake.




Mmm....cake!

2 comments:

  1. You're right, Laurie, it takes a homemade pie crust to make a good traditional pie. My husband didn't care for pie much until we started making our own crust. The old Joy of Cooking recipe has perfect, easy-to-follow instructions (the newer editions don't).

    We LOVE blueberry pie! Especially with Moon Road blueberries we've picked ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to check that recipe out. Thanks, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete