Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cake Balls

As I mentioned in a previous blog entry, I have recently become a huge fan of the Pioneer Woman. Through her blog, she has introduced me to Bakerella and the world of cake balls & cake pops. I picked up a copy of Bakerella's book during my weekly trip to Target.


The items in the book are so darn cute! and so out of my league! Oh well....I decided that I would attempt just basic cake balls. They didn't look too intimidating.

The directions are on Bakerella's her website, (Just click on the link) so I won't go into too much detail here.

One thing I really like about her book and website (same goes with the pioneer woman), they show step by step pictures for those of us who are visual learners.

You start with making a plain 'ole 9x13 cake from a mix. I chose a milk chocolate one. Then crumble up the cake. It crumbled very easily.

(I really should have straightened up the kitchen before taking the pictures. Oops!)


Once it is all crumbled up, mix in 3/4 of a can of ready made frosting. I used milk chocolate icing for a double chocolate effect. It's really important not to use the whole can.

Then roll into balls. I'm obviously not very good about making mine the same size. Then I put them in the refrigerator overnight. You only have to refrigerate them for a couple of hours, but it was getting late, so I went on to bed.


Dip the chilled cake balls into melted chocolate. I used Wilton Candy Melts since I had plenty left from my covered Oreo treats that I made yesterday.

One of my favorite tips from Bakerella was to take a toothpick and cut around any excess chocolate that ends up on the wax paper before it dries. Then when it has dried, it will just break off easily. I am going to have to remember that next Christmas when I make Buckeyes!

I made some pink ones, too. I drizzled white over the tops.

Finished items, photographed with poor lighting.

I had purchased supplies to make the cake pops, too, but I didn't have any styrofoam, etc. to put the pops in while they dried. I'll try that on another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment