Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Leapin' Lizards

When I was a kid, one of the highlights of our trips to Florida to visit Grandma was seeing the lizards on her patio screens. They were little Green Anole lizards, also know as the American Chameleons.

We even had a pet anole lizard for a while. There was an Easter egg hunt up at Keystone Square shopping center (in Carmel, IN). My sister, who was 3 or so at the time, didn't find any eggs, so my mom made my brother & me share with her. In one of those eggs, my sister won an anole from the pet store. Stores just don't do that anymore! (thank goodness - now that I'm a mom!). She named it David after our next door neighbor teen babysitter.

Well anyway...today I saw my first lizard of the season. To me, that is a big indicator that summer is near. We've already had several days over 80 degrees already this spring, but this the first lizard I've seen.


Here's a closer look at it. We always refer to the lizards around our house as "Lizzy". So as you can see, Lizzy has made her first appearance of the year.


I called my sister while typing this post, for her recollection of the Easter egg hunt. Then we got to talking about the lizards that they used to sell at the circus! All I remembered was that they were sold by walking vendors. My sister's memory is better than mine. She said the seller would have one lizard out on display. It would have a little leash fastened around his neck, then the leash was safety pinned to the guys shirt. Then the lizard would walk around on the guy as he was selling them. Well that's not something they do anymore! I was very curious about this practice of selling the lizards, so I searched online and found a message board called Circus History. If you are interested in reading, I've linked the site, but you'll have to scroll until you find entry #968.

No comments:

Post a Comment