Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spring Break Trip

Recently we asked our kids where they wanted to go for Spring Break. We didn't set any limitations to this conversation and weren't really sure what they would come up with. I was prepared with back-up suggestions such as Charleston, Panama City, and Myrtle Beach because I anticipated their suggestions to be Hawaii, Paris, and California or other fly-to destinations. We really wanted to keep it a drive-to destination. I am not sure if they conspired together on this or not, but they both decided that they wanted to go camping for our trip. When they announced this, the visions of luxury linens, crystal clear pools, food served on china plates, and little bottles of new toiletries quickly dissolved. I am not at all opposed to camping. I am a Girl Scout leader! We go on camping trips a couple of times a year. Our son is a Boy Scout and my husband is an assistant Scoutmaster. We do quite a bit of camping in our family. But as our children pointed out, we hadn't been on a family camping trip in years. A friend told me about a beautiful state park in South Georgia. The great thing about this park was that it is just a short drive from Savannah, one of my favorite destinations. Suddenly the thought of camping didn't sound so bad. We leave for Skidaway Island State Park tomorrow morning. Our original plan was to leave this morning, but our 13 year old son received a last minute invitation to a friend's birthday party. Thankfully, the state parks will let you change your reservations if done 3 or more days in advance, so we just shifted things a day. We will only be camping for 2 nights - that's my limit for uncomfortable sleeping situations. We plan to spend one day at Tybee Island and dine at The Crab Shack and spend another day exploring Savannah. I may not be sleeping on those luxury sheets, but the thought of eating many of my meals on china plates makes me happy! (Mostly because that means I didn't do the cooking and I don't have to do the cleaning!)

No comments:

Post a Comment