Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Tybee Island

On Monday, after our hike at Skidaway Island, we drove to Tybee Island. It took about 25 minutes to get there from the campground. We planned it so we would be arriving around lunch time. We went to one of our favorite places, The Crab Shack.

The slogan for The Crab Shack is "Where the Elite Eat in the Bare Feet". It's a very casual place. All the food is served on paper plates. Most of the dining is outside under some big 'ole oak trees. (At least that's what Rachel Ray called them on her $40 a Day Show).


The tables have large cut-out holes in the center with a wooden mini table over the hole for paper towels, ketchup, etc. Underneath the hole is a large trash can so you just throw away your trash as you eat. I ordered a low country boil and my husband ordered peel & eat shrimp with crab chowder. James had a chili dog. Our picky little vegetarian ate cole slaw and smashed taters.


One of the high-lights about the Crab Shack is the Gator Lagoon.


We bought the over priced "gator treats" and fed the gators. The treats looked a lot like the treats we give our dog!

After lunch, we drove over to the Tybee Light House.

While we were waiting our turn to enter the light house, I took this picture of my daughter. It was quite windy out and she was getting a kick out of having her hair blown everywhere.

We walked all 178 steps up to the top of the light house. Thankfully, there was a landing after every 25 steps. Let's just say that I was not the first one in my family to make it to the top!


I can say that I did make it up there, eventually! The view was breathtaking. Or maybe I was still out of breath from climbing those 178 steps! Surprisingly, my son would not come out on to the platform. He has developed a fear of heights he told us. He did climb up, just didn't go out once he got to the top.


Then we took the 178 steps back done. It was much easier this time. I didn't have to stop and rest at each landing.

After the lighthouse, we went over to Tybee North Beach. The water was a bit cold, but the kids had fun playing in the ocean anyway.


Here is a cool picture I took of the light house from the beach.


We spent a couple of hours at the beach. It wasn't very crowded and I even got to take a little nap! The kids and I all ended up with a little bit of sunburn, but it wasn't too bad. We did remember to put on some sunscreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment