Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What am I Reading?

James was at camp last week and Hannah had day camp, swim dates and sleepovers, so I had time to read!


I read "Too Good to Be True" by Kristan Higgins. I didn't like it as much as her other books, but I still enjoyed it.



I loved Stephanie Bond's "Baby Drive South". It's about a town in Georgia that gets totally demolished by a tornado. 10 years later, 3 brothers are working to build the town back up. They have a crew of a couple hundred men working on the town, but morale is low, so they put in advertise for single women to relocate to their town. A quick and easy book to read.




I have been reading a lot of light & fluffy stuff, so I decided that I needed to read something with a little more substance. I chose, "The Ape House" by Sara Gruen. Gruen wrote "Water for Elephants" which I loved! "The Ape House" was good, but I liked "Water for Elephants more". It involves apes & sign language.


Now this book is not something I would normally read. It was a free Kindle book, so I got it without knowing anything about it. Then when I was looking for something to read, I became overwhelmed with the choices. I have a pile of books in my bedroom waiting to be read, plus hundreds of books on my Kindle. So I picked a number between 1 and 246 (the number of books on the Kindle) and selected #31. That ended up being, "Bring on the Blessings" by Beverly Jenkins. It's about a 52 year old wealthy divorced African American woman who buys a financially troubled Kansas town on E-bay. After I started it, I was afraid it was going to end up being a bit preachy, but it wasn't at all. It's the first in a series of 3 books. It was a little unrealistic at times - everything always worked out and the conflicts were quickly resolved, but I still enjoyed it. It's no longer free on Kindle - it's $9.99, so I'm glad I got it when I did. Now I need to wait for the other books in the series to become a Kindle freebie!




"It Had to Be You" is the 3rd book in the Weddings by Bella series. The first one was a freebie on Kindle, so that's how I got into the set. They are Christian books with lots of praying and preaching. I liked the characters, but they were a little "too perfect" at times.


Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment