Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lemon - Blueberry Cupcakes

So next Saturday is the "Cupcake Wars - Summer Theme" event that my friend Sue is hosting. The cupcakes are to be judge on 50% taste and 50% appearance/presentation. The rules are that you cannot use a mix or prepared frosting.

I've spent hours and hours trying to figure out what kind of cupcakes I am going to make and I've scrapped my cupcake ideas multiple times already.

I recently purchased the Betty Crocker Big Book of Cupcakes for ideas and inspiration.

James and I made a batch of Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes from it. We put the batter into the muffin liners. Then the blueberries get floured up and then dropped onto the top of the cupcake batter. We weren't very careful about how we placed the berries. Next time I would try to put them in the center.


After they cooled, we tasted the plain cupcakes. They weren't lemony enough for me. They tasted more like blueberry muffins with a hint of lemon. They were good, but next time I think I would add some lemon juice. The lemon taste was grated lemon peel.



Then came the icing. I did end up adding fresh lemon juice to it and the results were delicious! The recipe called for coarse salt (such as Kosher) and I LOVED how that worked with the flavors.

I still need some more practice with icing the cupcakes. These turned out alright, but not as nice looking as I wanted. They were yummy, though. Still not sure what I'm going to do for the Cupcake Wars. I have a few more recipes to try out.





No comments:

Post a Comment