Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Cupcake Class

This week, I took a cupcake decorating class with some friends at Miss Mamie's in downtown Marietta.



The cupcake display in the store.


A view of our workspace.


Miss Mamie showing us how to work with the fondant icing. The theme for our class was "owls". I had never worked with fondant, so I was excited to get to play with it. I personally don't like the taste of it, but it was really easy to work with and opens up a whole new world of cupcake decorating for me.

Sue cutting her fondant owl pieces.

At the grown-up table, we worked by cutting out all of the owl pieces before assembling. The "students' at the other table were all school-aged. They took a different approach of completely assembling one owl at a time. Their owls were more creative than ours, but it took them a lot longer. I didn't think to take any pictures of their owls.

My assembled owls.



After our owls were done, it was time to ice the cupcakes with a giant pastry bag filled with butter cream icing.


Sue posing proudly with her finished cupcakes.

And Wendy with hers.

And me with mine.

Here's a closer look at the finished products.

Sue is organizing a "Cupcake War" for later this month, modeled ever so slightly after the tv show of the same name. I feel a little bit better about the event after taking this class.

4 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun class to take!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Tyler is still interested in taking a class. Maybe I just buy him some fondant to play with at home

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue~ I think that might be the better way. You saw how quickly Hannah took to the fondant yesterday. She wasn't restricted to just an owl. Plus, it would be cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the owls! What a cool bakery in Marietta!

    ReplyDelete