Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Our Favorite Summer Dinner - Asian Lettuce Wraps

This summer our favorite dinner has become Asian Lettuce Wraps. For the last month and half or so, we have eaten them about once a week. In fact, my 13 year old son often requests it. I don't follow a recipe, I just wing it.

I start with some chicken breast. Trim & cut into bite sized pieces. Then I cook them with a little bit of olive oil.



I follow the same procedure for Hannah's soy chicken.

After the chicken is cooked, I drain it or blot up the excess liquid with paper towels.

Then I add some Thai Peanut sauce - I've used the 365 brand from Whole Foods and this time I had Target's Archer Farms brand. I usually get about 3 or 4 meals out of a jar - but I don't measure. I just add enough to cover all the chicken. I add a spoon full or two of peanut butter. I usually buy natural peanut butter now, but it still has sugar. One time, I had some that didn't have sugar and I didn't like that batch as well. I prefer it a sweet & spicy. I also sprinkle some crushed red pepper, but not in Hannah's though. She thinks it's spicy enough without.


I add a can of drained water chestnuts. I have the kids cut them into halves for me. It's so nice that they are old enough to help out with some of the "real" cooking tasks, not just "bring mommy a can of black beans, please". Though I still ask them do that, too.



Clean the lettuce leaves. This time I used Romaine lettuce. It really depends on what I can find at the store.


We top ours with shredded carrots. I put out all the individual components and let everyone assemble their own wrap.

Yum!

1 comment:

  1. It does look yum...something different and fun will have to try! Thanks for sharing this idea!
    -Adrienne

    ReplyDelete