Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bathroom Re-Do



Our house was built in 1992 and is approaching 20 years. We have done some major home improvement over the last few years such as granite counters, hardwood floors and updated fixtures, but one room that was still looking a bit worse for the wear was the kids' bathroom.

It's a small room as far as bathrooms are concerned. There are no drawers on the vanity, so the kids just leave everything out on the counter.

The yellow just doesn't work for me.


The first step was to remove everything. It's easier to work in an empty room.


Chris tiled the bathroom floor and I painted the walls.

We installed new lighting fixtures. I believe the light that we took out was the last of the brass fixtures! This picture makes the wall color look a bit off - the picture above is pretty accurate.


And now for the big reveal!


We got the new vanity at Lowe's. We needed drawers to keep the counter tidy. We were limited with our choices because our pipes came out of the floor, not the wall. Most of the vanities that we saw were designed for wall pipes. As it was, Chris had to cut out a couple of spots for the pipes to fit through.

I wanted a medicine cabinet for extra storage. The kids don't have too many toiletries yet, but I expect more to come as they get older. Just planning ahead!


It's hard to tell, but the shower rod (from Home Depot) is one of those curved "hotel" ones. It's also a double rod. The outer rod is for hanging wet clothes or towels. We're hoping that the kids actually use it.

The baseboards and quarter round pieces are made from pvc. We also replaced the toilet seat which was requested by Hannah.

I didn't keep precise track of the expenses, but it was close to $1000 for the whole project. We did all of the work ourselves. (Mostly the husband, though I did hold things in place and hang up the shower curtain.)Eventually I will want to replace all of the towels - I'm not happy with the colors of the existing towels against the newly painted wall.

And now Chris can put the door back on. He had hung it back on the day before, but I told him that I couldn't get a picture of the whole bathroom because the door was in the way. Being the sweet husband that he is, he removed it again so I could take my pictures.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! You guys did a great job! I love the blue with the shower curtain! ~Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I love the vanity! Hope y'all are having a great summer!!! Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Denise & Anne! The kids are so excited to have a new bathroom! I just wish I could have given them a larger one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet guy u have...I can hear my husband not happy about taking the door back off just so I could get my pics! Tell Chris, we love that!
    Bathroom looks so much nicer (love the dark wood cabinets!) for your kids now that they r getting older...that yellow wouldn't have "worked" for me either! Blue is so calming!-Adrienne

    ReplyDelete