Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Cupcake Wars - Kid Edition

With all the hype about the upcoming "Cupcake War" that my friend Sue is organizing, the kids were getting really excited and wanted to have their own "cupcake war". So I volunteered to host a "Cupcake Wars - Kid Edition" at my house. It was more of a cupcake decorating party rather than a contest, but they all got into it and had an "epic" time. (Epic has been my 13 year old son's favorite adjective this summer.)

The kids all started with plain cupcakes and then were given icing, candies, and tons of decorating supplies.



I gave Hannah a lesson on using fondant icing. She caught on quickly and used fondant on most of her cupcakes. It must have been all that time I let her play with play-doh! Come to think of it, I didn't let her play with play-doh a whole lot because I didn't like the mess it made.

The boys took this very seriously.

James is using some edible spray paint.




Creating a masterpiece out of chocolate.


Creatively working with fruit roll ups.


The kids with their finished masterpieces.





And for those interested (I know my mom will be), here are close ups of the James & Hannah's finished cupcakes.


Here are James' cupcakes. He made the sea shells out of candy melts. He also played around with the fondant. The yellow duck was left over from his friend.


Hannah's fondant creations. She has a taco, volcano, bird's nest, watermelon and a lady bug on a leaf.

I was so impressed with all the cupcakes! James & Hannah decorated cupcakes a few months ago and they just poured on all the sprinkles they could find. They were really a mess! This time, all of the kids took their time and carefully thought out what they were going to do.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Activity, Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Adrienne! The kids had a blast creating.

    ReplyDelete