Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Fun with Hannah's Lunch

One thing Hannah requested this school year was for me to make her lunch a couple of times a week. She has been a vegetarian now for over 3 years, so sometimes the lunch options at school aren't particularly pleasing to her. The school almost always has something she can eat, but they are not always very exciting. There were a couple of times last year when she called me to say that there were no vegetarian options.

I have been trying to think of fun and healthy items for her lunch. She's had hummus and pita, sliced cucumbers with veggie dip, and fresh spinach with ranch so far this year. Today I decided to make her a peanut butter and honey sandwich. After buying no bread all summer, I did recently purchase some whole grain bread for the family.

I flattened the bread, then lightly spread the peanut butter and honey. Hannah doesn't like too much of either on her sandwiches. Then I cut out little shapes out of teeny tiny creative cutters (by Pampered Chef).


Here are the little cutters. Just like cookie cutters, but really teeny tiny.


 I got 6 little sandwiches. It was just the right amount for her. Hannah has never been a big sandwich eater. Whenever I have made her a sandwich in the past, at least half of it is left in the baggie at the end of the day.

 Snickers (our keeshond shelty) ate the scraps. She was quite the happy dog!

 Rounded out the lunch with celery sticks, spinach & artichoke dip, grapes, yogurt and one of my special Creme' Brulee chocolates that I wrote about the other day.


She was so happy with her lunch! She asked me how to show her how to make her own teeny tiny sandwiches when she got home from school. 



2 comments:

  1. If you need ideas, the LapTop Lunch (Bento) website (http://www.laptoplunches.com/bento-menus/) has some amazing lunches, almost all of them vegetarian or vegan. Look at the menus or the photos. And I think they have links to tons of other site. They are cool because the meals are healthy and fun, but not cutesy like most of the bento lunch boxes tend to be (no anime characters or smiley faces on everything).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennifer! I will definitely check out that site. I've seen some silly bento meals - way too much work for me!!!

    ReplyDelete