Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

What am I Reading?

Okay, first of all, I am still working on Danielle Steel's Big Girl and Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. I have made no progress on those books since I last blogged.

I read Tanya Michael's A Mother's Homecoming while at the beach earlier this month. Tanya belongs to my book club (and she probably reads all of the books on time! I still feel badly for not finishing the last one before we met.) and I have enjoyed reading her other titles. It was a sweet story of second chance love. The characters were realistic and the story line was believable. It had a happy ending, but it wasn't sappy.



I read Kristan Higgin's The Next Best Thing.  I liked it, but not as much as her other books. It could have been because it was about a young widow (not window as I first typed) and a bit sad at times.It did have the happy ending that I so require!

I read My One and Only, also by Kristan Higgins, while on vacation. I felt that the story line of this book was a bit too similar to other books I have read. I was entertained by it, but I liked her earlier books better.


Once we were back from vacation, I read A Hopeless Romantic by Harriet Evans. It was a charming story that takes place in England. I was a bit intimidated by the number of pages, but it ended up being a fairly fast read. 


Now one thing I found "interesting" and maybe a bit confusing for me, was that all 4 of these books had a character named Nick. In the Next Best Thing, Nick was the son of the leading man. In the other three books, Nick was the "hero". While reading the third one to have a leading male named Nick, I had to go back to the other books to make sure that their leading males were really named Nick, too. I really thought it was confusing.

The last book I read this past week (or two) did not have any characters named Nick. (or at least I don't recall any Nicks). Cold Vengeance by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston is the 11th book in the Pendergast series. And it is so not my usual genre of books. The Pendergast books are Crime/Mystery Thrillers with the occasional Science Fiction twist. Relic, the first one, came out in 1995. The next one, Reliquary came out in 1997. I read them both around the time they originally came out. Then a couple of years ago, I picked up Book of the Dead by Preston & Child, not realizing that it was book 7 in the Pendergast series. I just remembered enjoying the other two books I had read by the same authors. I didn't read the Book of the Dead until last summer or fall. As soon as I finished it and was fully aware that there were more books in the series, I tracked down the others at the library. Cold Vengeance just came out in July. It took me about 2 days to complete the book. As with their other books, I couldn't put it down easily. And when I got to the ending, I was a bit unhappy - it was one of those big cliffhanger endings. Cliffhanger endings are fine with me WHEN the next book is out and available. But that is not the case with this one and I have no idea when the next one will be out. 


I am currently reading The Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian Keyes.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment