Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Lunch Time Realization

First, the back story: Wednesday is dance night. Hannah has dance until 6:30 and then for the last few weeks, I've had dance starting at 7:30. (I'm participating in the "parent dance" for the recital. My dancing debut is on Saturday!) Usually I try to have a crock pot meal for dance nights, but I've been following the 17 Day Diet and I just couldn't come up with any good ideas for the crock pot with the ingredients I had on hand.

I wanted a grilled chicken salad for lunch. I decided to go ahead & grill some extra chicken for tonight's dinner, then everyone would have a grilled chicken salad tonight. (except for Hannah - since she is vegetarian, she will have some soy based chicken product) I put a little bit of olive oil on the chicken and sprinkled some Kroger Chicken Grill Time Seasoning, then grilled.

I've started buying the salad greens that come in the plastic containers instead of the bagged ones. They cost a little bit more, but they are so much better tasting. I chopped some red onion for the salad. I made a dressing out of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

It's supposed to be a high of 89 today, but it wasn't that hot on the deck, so I took my Kindle with me and ate my lunch outside.


It really was a pretty salad. And yummy, too!

It was so nice and peaceful eating my lunch outside. I felt like such a grown-up. I read a couple of chapters while I ate my salad, but I put the Kindle down to drink my green tea. That's when the trouble began. Curse you green tea! I started thinking. Then calculating. Then I made the realization: School gets out in exactly 2 weeks from today. Then, no more quiet and peaceful lunches. This has been my first year without working AND the kids both in school full time. And it has been a wonderful year. I haven't done everything I had intended to do, but that's always the case.

Summer vacation starts in 2 weeks now. I will enjoy not setting my alarm every morning. But I will miss my quiet and peaceful lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment