Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Brussels Sprouts

I have never been a fan of brussels sprouts and I never thought I would become one either. But they have quickly become a favorite of mine.

Recently I picked up some fresh brussels sprouts at the store because my husband really likes them. I don't cook them very often, so I looked on the internet for an easy recipe.

The first one that I found was for roasted brussels sprouts on allrecipes.com. I had all the ingredients so I gave it a try.

Start with fresh brussels sprouts. Wash them.


Trim the ends off .

Add olive oil, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.


Combine all ingredients in a large plastic bag and shake.


Spread onto baking sheet.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes. Stir every 5-7 minutes.
They are best when they are brownish/black. The loose leaves are the best! They taste like slightly burnt homemade potato chips. Hannah & I just stood there and ate all the loose ones! They are nice and crunchy.

The day after I made these, I went back to the store to buy some more. They are that good!

Here is a picture of a brussels sprouts plant. I had no idea that's what they looked like. Maybe you grew up on a brussels sprouts farm, but this is new to me. I have never seen a plant like this before. I wonder if they are easy to grow in the backyard??? Though it looks like one plant will only give you enough sprouts for one or two meals.

1 comment:

  1. Warwick says, "you never liked Brussels sprouts because your mommy murdered them!" I like them now that they are not overcooked. ;) I also recently tried a raw Brussels sprout recipe where you make slaw out of them. They are AMAZING that way with a little lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, dried cranberries, and cheese!

    ReplyDelete