Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower

After the success of our roasted Brussells Sprouts, I decided to try roasting another vegetable. I selected cauliflower this time. Usually, we microwave/steam cauliflower and it is "okay", not great, just okay.

I found a recipe for Roasted Cauliflower on SimplyRecipes.com. The main reason for selecting this recipe over the others that I found, was that I had all the ingredients. It also looked easier than some of the others I read.


I started with a head of cauliflower.

I cut the cauliflower into pieces and put in a bowl. I poured lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, pepper, and kosher salt over it and stirred. I spread it into a baking dish, then sprinkled parmesan cheese over it.


Before baking for 25-30 minutes at 400.

After baking.

We were in hurry - we were hungry! I didn't do a very good job of timing our dishes. I only roasted it for 25 minutes. If I had planned better, I would have roasted a little bit longer until it was more golden in color.

The final results, the family liked it. It was better than "okay". We liked the roasted Brussells Sprouts more, but it was definitely an improvement over our usual microwaved cauliflower.


When Chris and I were in California (after typing the word cauliflower, I really had difficulties spelling California!), we drove past several cauliflower fields. Many of them had recently been harvested and you could smell the raw cauliflower scent very strongly. Here is a picture of a cauliflower field for those of you who don't get to see them in that stage.



Now I need to think of another vegetable that needs rescuing from my usual methods of preparation!

2 comments:

  1. I have been oven roasting veggies a lot lately. My standard is to just toss in olive oil and sprinkle with fresh-cracked sea salt. We've roasted cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli, brussels sprouts (it's the only way I'll eat them), and kale. Kale was one I thought I'd NEVER eat, but I kept reading rave reviews of "kale chips" which is just oven roasted kale. To my surprise, the whole family ended up loving it. It's a quicker roast, too, only 12-15 minutes and only at 350. I expected to hate it, but at $1 for a huge head, it wasn't a huge risk if I ended up wanting to throw it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennifer! I can't wait to try the kale!

    ReplyDelete