Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Reading the Classics

I love to read! However, I have come to the realization that I have not read enough classics during my life. When I look at the school lists of suggested books, I can only say I've read about a third of them. There are several different lists out there. For example, on this list of "101 Great Books for College-Bound Readers", I have only read 15 of the titles.



I did better on this list of 100 titles, "Books Everyone Should Read at Least Once". On this one, I could count 36 books that I had read. But I must be honest, Green Eggs & Ham, Goodnight Moon, Harry Potter #1, and Where the Sidewalk Ends were on that list.




I am embarrassed to admit that I have not read anything by Jane Austen (but I am a huge fan of all the Jane Austen movies!). I even read lots of modern day versions of Pride & Prejudice. I have never read To Kill a Mockingbird either. In fact my list of classics that I haven't read is greater than the list of ones that I have read.

It's not like I haven't read any classics. I've read 1984, A Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby, The Scarlet Letter, Les Miserables, just to name a few. I just feel lacking overall in the category of classic books read.

So I have set the goal of reading one classic book each month. I recently downloaded all of the free classics that interested me onto my Kindle. For the month of June, I have selected to read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. And it's not the zombie version, either, though I do own a copy of that one in my pile of books to read.



No comments:

Post a Comment