Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Feeling Sew Stupid

I hate to sew. I took 7 years of sewing in 4-H when I was a kid, plus I took a few sewing classes in Home Ec back then, too. I still don't like to sew.  A few years ago I hired a friend to sew James' Halloween costume. The few times we've needed alterations, we've paid to have it done. I will sew buttons on, eventually. And patches on to scout uniforms. But I don't like it.

Recently I posted that James made the rank of Star in Boy Scouts. With that rank, he received a new patch. He wasn't in any hurry for me to sew it on because during the summer months the boys are permitted to wear Class B instead of Class A uniforms. But after Labor Day the boys would be required to wear Class A again.

I sewed his Star rank patch onto his uniform in plenty of time for his meeting. The following weekend James was dressed to help fold flags from the 9/11 Field of Flags. I noticed his patch was gone. I'm not a great seamstress, but surely the patch wouldn't have come off so soon.

Here is James' shirt the week after I sewed his new patch on. The patch should be on the pocket. As you can see, it's not there.


Here is the sleeve of his shirt. And lo and behold, there is his patch. I had sewn it onto the wrong pocket.


No problem. I carefully removed the patch with a seam ripper and sewed it to the front pocket. Here it is now in the correct place.


When James got home from folding flags, he pointed out to me that I had sewn it upside down!!!And as you can see in the picture above, it is indeed upside down. I had to sew it on a third time. Needless to say, this didn't help change my feelings about sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment