Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

What am I Reading?

I am off to a slow start, but I have managed to find some time to do a little bit of reading. So far I have read 3 books in the new year. A year ago I was reading almost a book a day for the month of January. I had just gotten my first Kindle, so maybe that was part of the reason for so much reading.

The first book I read in 2012 was The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. My dear friend Robyn suggested it several months ago. I got it from the library over the summer, but never had a chance to read it. It is now one of the digital titles through my local library, so I tried again. This time I made the point of reading it while I had it. I really enjoyed this. It was about a Chinese American man who grew up in the Northwest United Stated during World War II. His only friends were a Japanese American girl and an African-American jazz musician. The book went from the past (1940's) to the present (1980's). It was a really well written book and although it was fiction, there were a lot of historically accurate parts to it.



The second book that I've read this year was Janet Evanovich's Explosive Eighteen. It was also a digital title from the library. When I discovered that the library had it, I was number 9 on the wait list and they had 8 copies of it. I had been on the waiting list for the hard copy of the book since before the book came out and I was still number #237 on that list. It was a quick read, as Evanovich's other Stephanie Plum books. It was a bit confusing at the beginning. It kept making reference to a trip to Hawaii that happened AFTER the 17th book, but the details were given slowly and over several chapters. I'm sure it was designed to keep you in suspense and all that, but I didn't like that. I am excited that the movie for the first Stephanie Plum book comes out in a couple of weeks!



I also read Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close. This was definitely a chick lit. It revolves around several women who are friends during their 20's. At first I thought there were 3 main characters, but then the next chapter would introduce a woman who works with one of the other women. I found myself getting confused a bit. There is a lot of reference to weddings, hence the "white dresses" in the title. However, it was more about the life of these women rather than weddings. I was entertained by it, even though I was confused at times.




I am currently reading A Weekend with Mr. Darcy by Victoria Connelly.


Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment