Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

The Birthday Cake

James has fond memories of past birthday cakes. In fact, he requested I make the one that I made a few years ago for his most recent birthday. To be honest, I didn't keep the recipe. It was something I found on the Internet and I didn't keep the print-out.



So of course, I had to find a new recipe. One of the things he liked about the cake from long ago was the layers of chocolate mousse. I knew that I wanted it to be something fairly easy. I didn't want to spend the whole day baking. I found a recipe for "Decadent Snickers Cupcakes with Chocolate Mousse Filling" on Kevin & Amanda's blog. I didn't want to make cupcakes, so I did make a few changes.

First of all,the recipe called for a box of Devil's Food cake mix. Sour cream, milk, and chocolate fudge pudding were added to it.

The mousse was really easy. It was just heavy whipping cream and melted milk chocolate chips. I made a double batch to make sure that I had enough for all of the layers. One problem I had with the mousse was that my mixing bowl was super chilled from the whipping cream, but I didn't notice that when I added the chocolate. The cold temperature caused some of the chocolate to firm up. It still tasted alright - kind of like small chunks of chocolate in it. In the end I had way too much mousse. One batch would have been more than enough. After I spread it on the layers, I gave small custard dishes full of mousse to both kids, 2 friends of Hannah and myself. I still had some left.

I made a chocolate butter cream to cover the cake. Then, we chopped up some of a Toblerone chocolate bar to go over the butter cream.



The appearance of the cake wasn't as nice as I would have liked. The layers slid around a bit. In fact while I was frosting it, I had to poke skewers in it to keep the layers together. I haven't made a whole lot of 4 layer cakes before, so I should research this before my next attempt.


Here is the finished cake. It may not look too pretty, but it was tasty!

Here's the birthday boy with the birthday cake.

And here is a not-so-beautiful slice of cake.

1 comment: