Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Kittens for Christmas

James & Hannah decided that they wanted kittens for Christmas this year. Our last cat passed away last spring at the old age of 19 human years. Hannah has been asking for a kitten for years. Chris finally conceded, so we told the kids that we would get some kittens. The kids felt that they didn't need or want a lot for Christmas, so they were willing to let the kittens count as a big part of their Christmas presents. After all, pets cost a lot of money.

I also wasn't sure how to go about giving them to the kids. I wasn't sure I liked the idea of them "opening" kittens up on Christmas day either. I started looking online via PetFinder.com for kittens. I wanted a pair, plus I wanted young ones. Chris & I have had 3 cats since we've been married. One was an adult when we acquired her, one was "young", and one was a baby. Baby kittens are a lot of fun, so I decided to look for babies. I even looked on Craigslist for kittens, but the person I contacted never replied. Most of the cats on PetFinder were through assorted Rescue places and were only available for adoption on weekends. All of our weekends for the upcoming month were booked solid, so I wasn't sure when we would be able to find the time to even look. Then a friend of mine mentioned that Animal Control usually has animals to adopt. I called the Paulding County Animal Control which is located in the county next to ours to see if they had any kittens for adoption. They directed me back to PetFinder. I hadn't looked at Paulding County when on PetFinder, so when I went back I saw that they had lots of kittens. Plus, they were open during the week which worked well for me.

When I arrived at Animal Control, they let me go on back to the cat room. There were 3 cages of just itty bitty kitties. Two of the cages had 3 kittens and one had four. They were all absolutely adorable. It was going to be a hard decision. I wanted to adopt them all! I knew Chris wouldn't go for that! I ended up choosing from the cage that had four kittens. I worried that if I took 2 kittens from the cages with 3, then one would be all alone.

Hannah was so ecstatic when she got home. She kept saying over and over how she couldn't believe that we actually had kittens. James was at a band function and didn't get home until 9pm. I sent him text messages with some pictures of the kittens so he wouldn't have to wait to learn about them.

It's been 4 days now and they have adjusted to our house fairly well. They do not care for Snickers, but Snickers has been great with them. She hasn't even barked at them. Each day we've noticed that they are hissing and growling a little bit less toward the dog. One even approached Snickers yesterday and sniffed noses. Then she backed up and hissed, but it's progress.


Here is one of the pictures I texted James on the first day we got them. The gray one has been named Scout and he has been nicknamed "Sir Purrs A Lot". The black and white one is named Kay-C which stands for Kitty Cat.



Here is Kay-C. She looks a lot like our old cat, Izzy.


And here is Scout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment