Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

What am I Reading? June 2014

And now for June.

My friend, Tanya's newest book came out this month. Sometime it's nice to just get caught up in a fluffy romance book.



I picked up this Katie Fforde book in England. I get frustrated because her books aren't released in the US right away. I took a list of Fforde books with me on our trip so I could try to find one. It also gets confusing because many of the titles change when they are available in the US. She has been one of my favorite authors for a while, but her last few books haven't been as good as her earlier works. I am pleased to say that this one was delightful & as good as her earlier stuff.

I received copies of this Mary Kay Andrews book for all of my guests at my recent House Party. I had tried to read the book when it first came out & I just couldn't get through it. A lot of bad things happen to the lead character & I couldn't stand to learn of any more bad luck for her. One of my good friends tried reading it on vacation & had the same problem. She stopped & read another book, but then had to give it another go because she didn't have anything else to read. She told me that it finally got better after page 53. So I gave it another try & I finished it in the next day. If you can get past the beginning, it's a fun book. It's about a women who is going through a nasty divorce and everything in the beginning is going against her.

After waiting for months, I finally got Bossypants from the digital library. It was entertaining & easy to read, but it jumped around a lot. There were some very interesting stories, but I wondered if they were all really true.

The book club selection for June was Ender's Game. It actually was published in 1985, but I had never heard of it until this past year. It's a YA Science Fiction book, which although is not my preferred genre, I really enjoyed it. My only issue with the book was that the main character was supposed to be 6 years old for the first half or so. Then he ages to 10 years. It was not believable that he was only 6. Our book club met to see the movie so we could compare and discuss both.

I'm caught up with the books now. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment