Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Memory Shadow Box for Mom

Last October I made my first ever altered printers tray. The link for that post is here.

While on my recent trip to Indy for my Mom's funeral, I went to a craft store to purchase some black foam board to create Memorial boards of Mom with assorted photos. While perusing the aisles, I saw a display of the shadow boxes/printers trays. I probably stood there for at least 5 minutes. I picked up a tray, thought about the possibilities, then put it back. I repeated that several times. I had only made one before, and although it was cute, I was intimidated by the ones that used real photos and such. Finally, I stuck it in my cart and searched for items to put in the tray.

Here is the completed project.

I only put in 3 real photos in my memory box. That made it fairly easy. I purchased an assortment of stickers, buttons, etc. to put in the various boxes. I tried to find items that represented Mom's interests & hobbies.


Mom LOVED to play Scrabble & other word games, so I found some letter blocks in the scrapbooking section. The sewing items are mostly buttons. I cut the backs off so they would lay flat. I adhered most things with glue dots. Lucky for me, Mom was a big crafter, so I was able to use lots of her own items.


The elephant & letter "C" charm were from the jewelry craft section. The puzzle piece was left from one of the many puzzles that mom put together. It didn't make it back to its box and my family had no idea where it belonged, so it was fair game!


The little books were also from the jewelry crafts. Notice the little crack in the frame on the side? I'm going to have to fix that. It was awkward to transport.


When it was finished, I was quite pleased with how it turned out. We put it on display at the visitation and funeral and received lots of compliments on it.

I am looking forward to making my next Memory Shadow Box/Printer's Tray. Not sure what theme it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment