Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

What am I Reading?

I haven't posted a "what am I reading" post in over a month! I have been reading, so I am behind things. I try to post one every couple of weeks, but May is just a crazy month with the end of school and activities.


Phone Kitten by Marika Christian was a free Kindle book. It was about a woman who takes a job as an phone sex girl who gets caught up in a murder investigation of one of her clients. It was a cute and funny story.



I was so excited that Kristin Higgins had a new book out! It was about a single mom who grew up in a wealthy, privileged life. Her father loses the family fortune and her trust fund. The only thing she has in old, run down house that was left to her by an aunt. The house is Gideon Cove, Maine and many characters from some of Higgins' other books are brought back. It was a typical Kristan Higgins book and I was not disappointed.



Virtually Yours by Alexandra Erie was also a Kindle freebie. It was about a computer programmer who gets involved with a wealthy technology owner. It was a formula romance, but it was entertaining.



Close to Famous by Joan Bauer is another title for the 2012-2013 Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl. My now 6th grade daughter will be participating in her school's team next year, so I am trying to read as many of the books as I can to help her prepare. This book was a cute story about a young girl with a talent for baking. She and her single mother have started over in a new, small town. They move frequently, so she holds back when it comes to forming relationships with people. The descriptions of the baked goods made me hungry!



I bought a copy of Life's a Beach by Claire Cook on the clearance section at Barnes and Nobles over a year ago. Then it was a freebie for the Kindle and I got the digital version. Life's a Beach was about a 40 something single woman who lives in the apartment over her parents' garage. She has yet to "discover herself". She is hired by her sister, to accompany her young nephew as he is cast in a movie. It was fun reading the behind the movie scenes.



For Service Rendered by Patricia Kay was another Kindle freebie. It was about a young woman who is offered a marriage of convenience by her wealthy and handsome boss. I was hooked from the description, but it fell a little flat to me. It entertained me, but read more like a typical romance and I was expecting a little more.


I got sucked into the Fifty Shades of Gray trilogy by E. L. James. I won't even begin to describe them. They were very intense and I had difficulties putting them down. The first one had a cliff hanger ending, so I had to go into the second one immediately. The second one ended nicely and in my opinion, it could have stopped there and it would have been fine. The third one was a bit longer than the others. I enjoyed all three, though books one and two were my favorites.



My book club's selection for this month was Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Greg Gilmore. It was a coming of age story about a young girl who lived in Ringgold, Georgia who dreams about leaving the small town. As soon as she turns 18, she heads to Atlanta. Tragedy strikes her family and she goes back home after a short while in the big city. It's told in narrative style, which is not my preferred style of books, but it was an easy read and a nice story. The book club met at Dairy Queen to discuss it!


Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment